Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mid-2012 Best Albums of the Year


This is a very rough list of the best that I've heard so far this year (noting that I can't slate the new Maximo Park, Mission Of Burma or Poor Luther's Bones until I give them a few more spins). I've listened to roughly 65-70 albums this year, to give this list some perspective.

1. Michael Kiwanuka -- Home Again
2. Cloud Nothings -- Attack On Memory
3. Django Django -- Django Django
4. Killer Mike -- R.A.P. Music
5. Disappears -- Pre-Language
6. Mark Lanegan Band -- Blues Funeral
7. Shearwater -- Animal Joy
8. Dr. John -- Locked Down
9. Torche -- Harmonicraft
10. Gemma Ray -- Island Fire
11. Radar Eyes -- Radar Eyes
12. Saint Etienne -- Words And Music By Saint Etienne
13. Richard Hawley -- Standing At The Sky's Edge
14. El-P -- Cancer4Cure
15. The dB's -- Falling Off The Sky
16. Hollows -- Vulture
17. Georgia Anne Muldrow -- Seeds
18. Cate Le Bon -- Cyrk
19. Nelson Bragg -- We Get What We Want
20. Lee Fields & The Expressions -- Faithful Man


I'm sure there will be a bunch of changes as I discover more, but so far, it's been a really good year for music so far. (NOTE: Other contenders include Chiddy Bang, Ceremony, The Well Wishers, Chuck Prophet, Summer Girlfriends and Death Ships, among others).

2 comments:

David Bash said...

Well, our lists would have two in common, and I'll bet anything you can guess what they are! :-)

best in 2012 said...

somehow we have the same choices too! and I think the first person who commented here got the same as well.